Are you in the middle of preparations for your baby’s arrival into the world? This is a special time of excitement and intense planning. And there is a lot to do because your little one will need many products daily.
To help parents through this unique but challenging time, we have created a comprehensive guide with essential child items and tips on what to buy to best prepare for a newborn baby’s first three months.
Make a baby layette
Although the phrase “baby layette” is commonly linked to the equipment you take to the hospital, the term is much broader and includes other essential products. Which ones? Here is a basic list!
- Baby clothes – baby clothes are stunningly designed, but it is not worth buying too many as the child will grow very quickly. Also, many people visiting the baby will bring gifts, often including more clothes. For the first three months, a few pairs of long-sleeved bodysuits, jumpers, rompers, hats and socks are enough.
- Daily care products – your baby’s skin is sensitive, so choose quality baby products with good ingredients. What do you need? For the first three months, you should have: gentle bath soap, baby shampoo, wet wipes, nappy rash ointment, a water thermometer, a soft sponge, and nappies (disposable or reusable).
- Feeding products – even if you plan to breastfeed, you will need a few things to make the process easier, including a breast pump. If you chose to feed your baby with formula, you will need to purchase bottles, a steriliser and a bottle warmer.
Prepare your home and yourself to welcome your little one
The arrival of a child changes a parent’s life forever, so it is important to prepare for this moment, which includes adapting the home to the new family member. Here are some of the things you need to consider during this time.
- Baby’s room – your baby will spend a lot of time sleeping, so it is necessary to create a pleasant, comfortable and safe environment for them to do it. The nursery should include a cot with a good mattress and a wardrobe or chest of drawers to store all the baby’s equipment.
- Prams – the pram will be your child’s primary vehicle for the first three months and later – for the first couple of years, so choosing a good quality pram that will last and grow with your child is wise. What does this mean in practice? The ability to convert the pram into a pushchair.
- First aid kit – although parents would prefer not to use these products, it is crucial to have them available. What should a first aid kit contain? Basic items include: a thermometer, nasal aspirator, gauze pads, saline drops for babies, safe fever-reducing medication and a nebuliser.
To help you choose the best pram for your baby, we recommend you read our article “3 things to consider before buying a pram”.
Baby essentials – first 3 months
Why are these months so important? The answer is simple – the first three months of a baby’s life, often called the “fourth trimester”, are crucial for your baby to adapt to a new environment. So, knowing what you can do to make this time as easy as possible for your little one is helpful.
The above list covers the most basic equipment needed for the first three months of a newborn’s life. And of course, it can be supplemented with many extras of a more individual nature – an electronic nanny, sensory toys (e.g. a carousel over the cot), extra clothes (e.g. a warm baby jacket, trousers) or a car seat and baby carrier.
For more inspiration, check out our other guide, “Checklist of Baby Essentials: Your Guide to Baby Must-Haves“, for an even more detailed essential shopping list.
The critical thing to remember is that there are a lot of products on the market, and they vary not only in appearance but also in quality and price. We are well aware that the family budget is sometimes tight, but your child’s essential equipment (like pushchairs) will serve you for a long time, so sometimes it is worth investing in better-quality products. Especially as they can be used by your next children or resold.
One thing is certain – waiting to welcome your child into the world and the first three months of your baby’s life (and every month afterwards) is an extraordinary time that is guaranteed to be remembered for a long time.
Most popular prams and pushchairs
Upline All Black Pram
Tinum Edge SE Raven Pram
Empire Urban Grey Pushchair
Empire Ultra Black Pushchair
Vero Sand Stroller
Tinum Edge Ocean Pram
Upline Misty Rose Pram
Empire Newborn Insert
Empire Silk Pink Pushchair
Upline Classic Grey Pram